SQL Server Upgrade from 2005 to 2008
While upgrading sql server from one version to another version like sql server 2005 to 2008, recommended to run the sql server upgrade advisor to find out if there is any issue before and after up-gradation of sql server database.
We have two type of upgrade in sql server In Place and Side by Side
In place upgrade :
1. Doesn’t require addition hardware for upgrade.
2. It is risky when we perform on production server.
3. Rollback plan should be ready to avoid outage.
4. Needs down time for upgrade (on production server not recommended)
Side by side upgrade :
1. Require addition system where we will do the upgrade and testing
2. No risk as its not performed on production server.
3. After Successful testing we will promote this server to production environment.
4. No need of down time.
Here we will create test server with new configuration hardware, Operating System (OS) and SQL Server 2008 R2 on this server. After successful completion of upgrade, will check and test the functionality of the application with this server.
After successful testing of the same will be promoted on production environment then you can use old production server as test (backup) server.